Design and Technology
Purpose of study
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook
Art and Design and Technology Ambassadors
Art and Design and Technology Ambassadors are chosen for their love of Art and Design and Technology across the school. We felt this was an amazing opportunity for children, who are interested and passionate about Art and Design and Technology, to shine!
Art and Design and Technology Ambassador roles and responsibilities:
- To share a love of creating art and appreciating art with their class.
- To share a love of designing, making and evaluating with their class.
- To link with Miss Pratt, the subject leader
- To think and develop creative ways to promote art and design and technology across the school.
- To look for ways for pupils to have the opportunity to develop art and design and technology
The Art and Design and Technology Ambassadors are made up of pupils from Y2 - Y6
Year 2: Danielle and George
Year 3: Findlay and Lucy
Year 4: Ollie and Poppy
Year 5: Bella and Katie
Year 6: David and Alexa